So, first day of 2009 and it’s time to think about what I’m going to do for this year. Goals, dreams, hopes….groan. Based on last year, I’m more successful with resolutions when they are specific measurable goals, instead of “I want to be a better person”.
Feel free to hold me to these and make fun of me if I start to slip. I need the support and a kick in the ass sometimes.
2009 Resolution To-Do list
- Actively do things to create happiness in my life. Penguin put up a post about survival that resonated with me considering the past 39 years or so. A desire for comfort and a passive outlook have been barriers that need to be removed. Thanks for clarifying. Identifying the enemy makes it a better target.
- Plan and have more date nights with Aimee. We need more good time together instead of just serving the various masters we are slaves to. The passive outlook plays here. I need to actively create the time we need to spend together. Once a month for starters.
- Be the person that I want my son to grow up to be. Not angry, passive, and bitter. If I can’t do it for myself, I need to set the example for him. I don’t care what he does in life, I just want to make sure he has the tools to explore, discover, set, and achieve his own goals.
- Be the friend I want to be and want to have. In 2008 I didn’t make enough time for friends and was usually tired and useless when I did. Friends are hugely important to me and I need to make sure they know that.
- Get electronically organized. I’m working with at least 3 blogs, 6 email addresses, Google Apps, iGoogle, Exchange Servers, iCal, Mobile phones, iPod Touch, Paper notebooks, a Laptop, at least 2 main Desktop computers, school computers, you get the idea. This is far less than other people who do a great job of being organized. How to get a handle on this, I’m not quite sure. Suggestions welcome.
- Build at least 2 fully functioning sites with Je. (Obviously, Je’s feelings on this are important, and I actually hope we can do more, but I don’t want to scare anyone.) MyLinkChop and hopefully PickTheWeather will get done. This is totally possible, and I’ll be pissed at myself if I don’t get there.
- An extension of the previous one, meet out regularly with Je. We seem to be able to develop good ideas together and it is fun. Hopefully I won’t be a complete lazy pain in his ass.
- Don’t be a complete lazy pain in the ass. It seems easier for me to react to the energy of the people around me than to generate my own energy and motivation. That needs to change (passive outlook again?)
- Plan out at least 3 more ideas for sites and/or projects to do beyond ones that actually get built. Plan them extensively, not just a brain fart. I have lots of ideas for animations, scripts, stories, games, etc. Make them happen. Don’t settle for ideas.
- Build a game in Unity. This is great software that I know I could do some awesome things with. Lets do it.
- Learn AS3 and become a kick ass flash guy. Even if work never moves an inch, I need to do this.
- Learn more Maya and 3d. Build things. Don’t talk about it. Build it.
- Learn to network and talk comfortably with other people I don’t know. I really suck at this. Bad. I think being able to talk to other humans without alcohol involved would be helpful.
- More public speaking. At least 3 public speaking opportunities. This is in addition to if I teach the game class again.
- Drink less alcohol. Long ago for many years I drank to numb and dull my senses to be able to handle the world around me. I don’t want to do that anymore. I’ll need to find a different way to deal, but I can put that energy elsewhere.
- Travel. Make at least 3 trips this year, anywhere. Also, ultralight travel. Less stuff, more opportunity.
- Train Poe. He’s going to be HUGE and he needs to be well behaved. It takes time and energy. I can do it.
- Paint the house. Inside and the trim outside. It needs it. Get it done. It shouldn’t take more than a hard week or 2.
For most of 2008, I felt like I was just trying to catch up and so I was always tired and annoyed at all my have-to-do tasks. That is the wrong way to think about it. I have to do things to make my life happy and full. This isn’t a pain in the ass, it is the joy of life. Enjoy life. Embrace it.
Part of me says this is a lot to shoot for, but I am ignoring that part of me, because this isn’t. All of it hinges on me not worrying so much about my immediate comfort and destroying a passive outlook. As a matter of fact, I might add a few things later too.
2009 is going to be a great year.